[Ironruby-core] Code Review: ClrPrimitives2

Tomas Matousek Tomas.Matousek at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 24 14:32:44 EDT 2009

  tfpt review "/shelveset:ClrPrimitives2;REDMOND\tomat"

Python, DLR outer ring changes:

Hoists FloorDivision implementation to MathUtils - Ruby uses the very same operation.

Ruby changes:

A couple of breaking changes:

-          Removes ClrString constant. CLR string should be referred to as System::String.

-          Removes IronRuby library. "require 'IronRuby'" is no longer needed, IronRuby module is now a built-in module.

Implements integer/float operations for all CLR primitive numeric types (byte, sbyte, short, ushort, uint, long, ulong, float).
Those integer types that fit in 32-bit signed integer (Fixnum) are widened to Fixnum for all operations. The other integer types are widened to BigInteger. Float is converted to double.
The operations on these types don't narrow their results even if the values fit. For example, (System::Byte.new(1) + 1).class == Fixnum, not System::Byte. This might not be optimal for some scenarios. If we find it important we'll fix this in future.

The implementation takes the operations from FixnumOps, BignumOps and FloatOps and moves them to new modules IronRuby::Clr::Integer, IronRuby::Clr::BigInteger and IronRuby::Clr::Float respectively. These are mixed back into the numeric types. Some methods need to be specialized for each types, so we generated C# code for them. Ruby 1.9 script ClrInteger.Generator.rb produces ClrInteger.Generated.cs.

Implements System::Char and System::String methods so that they behave like an immutable UTF-8 encoded string (of size 1 character in the case of System::Char). Many methods in MutableStringOps can share implementation with CLR string. There is still a lot of work to be done here, especially to support encodings. So for now, to make CLR strings work like Ruby frozen strings to a large extent, I've implemented method-missing dispatch that forwards to a MutableString.

Adds IronRuby::Clr::MultiDimensionalArray that is mixed into all multi-dimensional arrays. This mixin needs to implement those IList methods that only work with vectors.

Enables checked arithmetic operations in debug builds. Fixes underflow/overflow bugs in integer operations and adds tests for them.

Adds C# code generator script - used for generating ClrInteger classes.
Groups all StringFormatter sites into a single site local storage class.
Fixes [#20265] library classes nested in an extension class have wrong name

Tomas