[Ironruby-core] Debugging ruby code in a host

Tomas Matousek Tomas.Matousek at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 23 21:23:49 EDT 2009

PAL provides more general virtualization of file system (though still not complete). By using custom content providers for a ScriptSource it only affects one particular ScriptSource while PAL is used by other API as well. For example, File#open goes thru PAL:
context.DomainManager.Platform.OpenInputFileStream(path, fileMode, access, share);

Also, content of required files is read via PAL: see Microsoft.Scripting\SourceFileContentProvider.cs.

So, PAL allows the host to make basic file IO operations work – you can, for example, build virtual file system based on Isolated Storage or some database table. The virtualization is not complete, we are looking for reasonable set of API that it make sense to virtualize. If you find something you would need let us know.

Sadly, Visual Studio debugger requires source files to be physical files on disk. If you need to debug some code stored in a database you need to save it to a file. You might want to do so only when DebugMode is on. If it is not, PDBs are not generated anyways so the code is not debuggable by VS.

Tomas