[Ironruby-core] Git Push

Jim Deville jdeville at microsoft.com
Wed Mar 18 03:15:33 EDT 2009

I have also updated the Github wiki with this information, and a detailed description of how to run the specs. The spec documentation can be found at http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/rubyspec

JD

From: ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org [mailto:ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org] On Behalf Of Jim Deville
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:54 PM
To: ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
Subject: [Ironruby-core] Git Push

Today's git push includes the last set of changes to make things easier for everyone developing from Git. It reintroduces MERLIN_ROOT, but MERLIN_ROOT now comes with benefits.

We recommend you start your developing by running C:\path\to\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Scripts\Dev.bat. This script sets MERLIN_ROOT, based on its location in the tree and sets up a VS cmd prompt. It also sets the following items in your path:

*         Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Scripts:

o   Contains irtests.bat which starts up multiple command prompts with MSpec and other tests in parallel

*         Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Scripts\bin:

o   Contains the iscripts. Igem, irake, iirb, etc.

*         Merlin\External\Languages\IronRuby\mspec\mspec\bin

o   Contains the mspec scripts: mspec, mspec-ci, mspec-run, mspec-tag

Next this script sets up ~/.mspecrc, which just loads Merlin\External\Languages\IronRuby\mspec\default.mspec to set IR as the default implementation, and creates the following targets:

*         :core

*         :lang

*         :lib

*         :cli

*         :interop

All of these can now be run via mspec ci -fs :core (for example), see RubySpec's wiki at http://rubyspec.org, or email me to learn more about how to run it.

This script also uses doskey to setup Merlin\Main\Scripts\Bat\Alias.txt which contains various aliases to make building and navigating the folder structure easier.

We hope these changes make things easier when working on IronRuby from the Git repository. I'm going to try to clean up my Powershell scripts to allow Powershell to be used with these changes too. Until then, you can run dev.bat, and then run powershell to get a Powershell prompt with all of the env setups in place. We would also love to have someone create a bash version of these scripts for those running in *nix land :)