[Ironruby-core] Recommendations for (IronRuby) gem packaging ?

Daniele Alessandri suppakilla at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:51:22 EDT 2009

2009/3/16 Thibaut Barrère <thibaut.barrere at gmail.com>:

>> Isn't "platform" used to identify a gem as a JRuby gem? Granted, it's not
>> perfect, but having IronRuby gems set the platform to "ironruby" would seem
>> to make sense with the current state of rubygems. Is there a reason not to
>> do this, and (other than waiting for changes to rubygems) is there a better
>> way to accomplish this?
>
> I think it is - although I'm no expert here.

Well it makes sense if we are speaking about a mere reminder that a
gem targets ironruby (it is not really that good, but there is no
other way to do that), but right now it is not possible to *enforce*
the compatibility with a specific ruby implementation and/or platform
(and this is what I was referring to).

By the way... yes, a few gems just use spec.platform to identify
themselves as jruby gems:

hpricot-0.6.164.gem
hpricot-0.6.164-mswin32.gem
hpricot-0.6.164-jruby.gem

Honestly, the fact that spec.platform was intended for different
purposes does not imply that we should not follow what seems the
de-facto way to overcome the current limits of gemspecs :-)

> As well, I'm not sure what setting the "platform" actually implies.

http://rubygems.org/read/chapter/20#platform

"If this attribute is set to a non-default value, it will be included
in the filename of the gem when it is built, e.g.
fxruby-1.2.0-win32.gem.".

See also "gem help platforms"

> For instance, I have developed gems that target the MRI. I'm thinking about
> adding native support for IronRuby. One example is diacritics_fu
> (http://github.com/thbar/diacritics_fu/tree/master) that removes accents
> from strings. Under .Net, I can achieve that natively using encoding
> stuff. So basically this gem would become usable under both MRI and
> IronRuby, it just doesn't use the same underlying stuff depending on who is
> using it.

In this case I would simply opt for two separate gems: diacritics_fu
(pure ruby) and diacritics_fu-ironruby. I don't think that MRI guys
are actually interested in having .NET assemblies in their installed
gems :-)

--
Daniele Alessandri
http://www.clorophilla.net/blog/