[Ironruby-core] Recommendations for (IronRuby) gem packaging ?

Thibaut Barrère thibaut.barrere at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 06:08:27 EDT 2009

> Isn't "platform" used to identify a gem as a JRuby gem? Granted, it's not
> perfect, but having IronRuby gems set the platform to "ironruby" would seem
> to make sense with the current state of rubygems. Is there a reason not to
> do this, and (other than waiting for changes to rubygems) is there a better
> way to accomplish this?

I think it is - although I'm no expert here.

As well, I'm not sure what setting the "platform" actually implies.

For instance, I have developed gems that target the MRI. I'm thinking about
adding native support for IronRuby. One example is diacritics_fu (
http://github.com/thbar/diacritics_fu/tree/master) that removes accents from
strings. Under .Net, I can achieve that natively using encoding stuff. So
basically this gem would become usable under both MRI and IronRuby, it just
doesn't use the same underlying stuff depending on who is using it.

I anticipate that more and more gems could face this situation.

I'm not sure how to define the platform in these cases.

raw thoughts...

-- Thibaut