[Ironruby-core] Comparing CLR strings and Ruby strings - a slightly surprising behaviour

Tomas Matousek Tomas.Matousek at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 6 01:04:44 EST 2009


This is not about syntax. This is just what System::String#inspect prints out. 

Tomas

-----Original Message-----
From: ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org [mailto:ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org] On Behalf Of Tinco Andringa
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 6:26 PM
To: ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
Subject: Re: [Ironruby-core] Comparing CLR strings and Ruby strings - a slightly surprising behaviour

Wouldn't using different syntax especially for clr just amount to
creating a new language instead of implementing Ruby on the dlr? (Not
to mention a language that's not very intuitive)

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 23:00, Orion Edwards <orion.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like backticks more than single quotes, but ideally you'd just have the
> same quotes and make them red or something for clr strings.
>
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Pete Bacon Darwin
> <bacondarwin at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> How about back ticks? `Some string`?
>>
>> Since ruby can have single quote string literals it might not be that
>> obvious that 'Some string' it is not a normal Ruby string.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org
>> [mailto:ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org] On Behalf Of Tomas Matousek
>> Sent: Thursday,05 March 05, 2009 21:03
>> To: ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
>> Subject: Re: [Ironruby-core] Comparing CLR strings and Ruby strings - a
>> slightly surprising behaviour
>>
>> I'm going to use single quotes for formatting CLR strings via inspect.
>> "clr:" prefix is too long and it gets in your way when working mostly with
>> CLR strings.
>>
>> >>> "Some string"
>> => "Some string"
>> >>> "Some string".to_clr_string
>> => 'Some string'
>>
>> Sounds good?
>>
>> Tomas
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ironruby-core mailing list
>> Ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
>> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ironruby-core mailing list
> Ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core
>
>
_______________________________________________
Ironruby-core mailing list
Ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core



More information about the Ironruby-core mailing list