[Ironruby-core] Issue with accents (UTF-8) - is it supposed to work ?

Tomas Matousek Tomas.Matousek at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 3 14:37:39 EST 2009

Actually the 1.8 parser is somewhat influenced by the current $KCODE. Multi-byte characters could be part of identifiers and also the decision of where a string literal ends needs to deal with multi-byte characters.
However, the resulting literals are just plain byte arrays with no knowledge of encoding so String#size method is still broken.

To achieve a better .NET interop in IronRuby, we will honor KCODE when creating MutableStrings. The representation of the string will be byte[] if it contains any non-ascii characters and KCODE is set to a non-ascii encoding. We will also attach the KCODE encoding to the MutableString at creation time. This doesn’t affect Ruby 1.8 functionality, it only affects conversions to CLR string. So if you use KCODE = “U” the CLR strings should be correctly encoded (they are not now as you are experiencing). I’ll implement this feature as soon as possible.

Tomas