[Ironruby-core] Returning a Clr type in IronRuby

Paul Cowan dagda1 at scotalt.net
Tue Mar 3 09:53:29 EST 2009

Hi,
I am trying to return a CLR object from Iron Ruby.

I have the following CLR type defined in C#

public class BuildMetaData
{
    public string Description { get; set; }
}

I have the following IronRuby file:
$:.unshift(File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../bin/Debug')
require 'mscorlib'
require 'Horn.Core.DSL.Domain'
class MetaDataFactory
    def return_meta_data()
        meta = Horn::Core::DSL::Domain::BuildMetaData.new
        meta.Description = "A description of sorts"
        meta
    end
end

I have the following test that is failing:
[Fact]
public void Then_a_build_metadata_object_is_returned()
{
   var engine = Ruby.CreateEngine();
   engine.Runtime.LoadAssembly(typeof (BuildMetaData).Assembly);
   engine.ExecuteFile(buildFile);
   var klass = engine.Runtime.Globals.GetVariable("MetaDataFactory");
   var instance = (RubyObject)engine.Operations.CreateInstance(klass);
   var metaData = (BuildMetaData)engine.Operations.InvokeMember(instance,
"return_meta_data");
   Assert.Equal(metaData.Description, "A description of sorts");
}

It fails when trying to cast the object returned from IronRuby with the
following error.
System.InvalidCastException : [A]Horn.Core.DSL.Domain.BuildMetaData cannot
be cast to [B]Horn.Core.DSL.Domain.BuildMetaData. Type A originates from
'Horn.Core.DSL.Domain, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=null' in the context 'LoadNeither' at location
'C:\Projects\horn\branches\rubydsl\src\Horn.Dsl.Specificatioin\bin\Debug\Horn.Core.DSL.Domain.dll'.
Type B originates from 'Horn.Core.DSL.Domain, Version=1.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' in the context 'Default' at location
'C:\Users\paul.cowan\AppData\Local\Temp\gjpo5svj.0zd\Horn.Dsl.Specificatioin\assembly\dl3\6d8ae49c\7acadf2b_c798c901\Horn.Core.DSL.Domain.DLL'.

The only way I can access the members of the BuildMetaData is using
reflection.

If you look at the error message, both types are created in different
locations.

Is this possible in IronRuby yet?

Cheers

Paul