[Ironruby-core] What is the status for providing support for Attributes?

Ivan Porto Carrero ivan at flanders.co.nz
Wed Jul 29 04:43:41 EDT 2009

* removed rant as this isn't a philosophical discussion on
WCF/SOAP/REST/JSON services :) *

For the client side you don't need attributes to generate a proxy for a WCF
call at all and you can just use meta programming to create those for you.
 Then on the server side there are few approaches you can use to host WCF
services.  WCF allows you to virtually replace every bit and piece in its
architecture with custom implemenations

One possible solution:
1. you can create a custom service host, instance provider and behavior that
knows how to deal with ruby classes or DLR classes in general.
2. A custom operation invoker to select the method you want to call (that
uses DLR infrastructure) + behavior to insert it in the wcf config
3. open-source it an the rest of the community will thank you for it :)
4. remove the need for xml configuration in default usage cases (totally
optional but still a good idea :))

If you put a good dev on this he can have this done in a couple of days.

Only doing #1 will already get you hosting C# WCF services on the server, it
even allows you to write your service in Ruby as long as you define the
service contract in C#/VB/...

Attributes are a
crutch used in the static world to annotate types with extra metadata.
In ruby you typically use a class method invocation to provide that
metadata because ruby doesn't break the inheritance chain when it
comes to class level members. And
in the WCF scenario I don't see the _need_ for attributes. I don't think we
should be changing ruby to know about those static things but rather make
the technologies aware of DLR languages and how to use them.

Please prove me wrong :)

disclaimer: I may have made things look easier than they actually are.
---
Ivan Porto Carrero
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim