[Ironruby-core] ironruby build on mono

Ivan Porto Carrero ivan at flanders.co.nz
Tue Jul 28 11:25:05 EDT 2009

Hi,
When I build IronRuby with mono it has some quirks that don't exist when I
build it with MS.NET and then run it on mono.

Unfortunately I don't know how to debug this stuff with mono (but would love
to know though)

To try it you can download either a pre-built version that the CI server
spits out (http://ironruby.colliertech.org/) or build it yourself by getting
the source from github and issueing
rake compile

then start a console session with mono ir.exe

at the prompt [1,3,5] <=> [2,4,6]

+ivan at ivan-mbp:~/src/ironruby
(linux)» ir
IronRuby 0.9.0.0 on Mono 2.4.2.2

>>> [1,3,5] <=> [2,4,6]
:0:in `<=>': Object reference not set to an instance of an object
(System::NullReferenceException)
 from :0

this behavior seems to be fixed in mono 2.5

+ivan at ivan-mbp:~/src/ironruby
(linux)» ir
IronRuby 0.9.0.0 on Mono 2.5

>>> [1,3,5] <=> [2,4,6]
=> -1

I'll see what we can do to make the CI server use mono 2.5 because
assemblies built with mono 2.5 actually work on mono 2.4.2.2

+ivan at ivan-mbp:~/src/ironruby
(linux)» ir
IronRuby 0.9.0.0 on Mono 2.4.2.2

>>> [1,3,5] <=> [2,4,6]