[Ironruby-core] IronRuby pair programming

Shri Borde Shri.Borde at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 23 13:40:19 EDT 2009

When: Friday, July 24, 2009 10:00 AM-12:00 PM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada).
Where: (Live Meeting)

Note: The GMT offset above does not reflect daylight saving time adjustments.

Ray, Tim and I are meeting tomorrow. Tim, I will need your MSN id.

Let me know if anyone else wants to join in.

From http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/debugging:

Pair debugging with experienced IronRuby developers

Some experienced IronRuby developers may be available to debug a problem with you. Watching over their shoulder can help a newcomer to the code base learn debugging tips and techniques. To make this a fruitful exercise, please follow the following guidelines:

Send email to ironruby-core at rubyforge.org<mailto:ironruby-core at rubyforge.org> asking if any experienced developer is available to help you
•       Ensure that you can build and successfully run all of the RubySpec<http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/rubyspec> tests.
•       Restrict the problems to pure Ruby code which is known to work with MRI. Ensuring a clean working baseline functionality in MRI ensures that the problem truly in IronRuby. Without a known clean MRI baseline, the problem can be in a component other than IronRuby which you are as well-equipped to diagnose as anyone else.
•       Set up a clean repro. Spend time ensuring that it is not a configuration issue, and that the problem can be easily reproduced on other machines. Document detailed information about your platform, version of IronRuby, and the steps to repro the problem.
•       Do basic debugging by yourself beforehand. This will ensure that you get the most out of the session and can keep up with what’s going on over Live Meeting.
•       Set up Live Meeting<http://livemeeting.com> on your machine, which will allow you to watch the debugging session.
•       Add the experienced developer as a friend/buddy in some Chat program so that you can ask questions during the debugging session.