[Ironruby-core] Data Binding to IronRuby Objects in WPF

Curt Hagenlocher curth at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 20 10:10:30 EDT 2009

This should work under desktop WPF (though not under Silverlight) because IronRuby objects implement ICustomTypeDescriptor. But consider the following code:

class Drive
  def letter
    'C'
  end
  def format
    # format the hard drive
  end
end

How do we know what the "properties" of Drive are? For obvious reasons, we would want to return "letter" but not "format". The way I protected against this was to return only those names which have both an arity 0 getter and an arity 1 setter. In other words, the above class would also need a

  def letter= value
    # raise some kind of "not supported" exception
  end

in order for the ICustomTypeDescriptor implementation to recognize "letter" as a property.