[Ironruby-core] Spec and calling other examples

Kevin Radcliffe lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Jul 8 21:56:29 EDT 2009

Mohammad Azam wrote:

> The context of "19 years old" fails since it requires to put the
> "voting" context as a shared example which I don't want to do. If we can
> just call other contexts within the parent context then it would be
> great. I think it would be great if the above example just works.

I'm not quite sure what you're expecting in this case.
I can understand if you are expecting the parent context to be passed
down to the child, but the code:

it "should be able to vote"   # does not work

Is only saying "here is a description about what I want to test... I'm
getting ready to test something.... and ... nothing"

I'd imagine based on a conversation we had that you "might" be expecting
the implicit method calling/subject setup mentioned in the post here:

http://blog.davidchelimsky.net/2009/01/13/rspec-1-1-12-is-released/

However, for that, you'd actually need the following syntax (which is
probably using some magic shortcuts behind the scenes):

it { should be_able_to_vote }

You'd also need to add (perhaps monkey-patch if you're dealing with an
existing C# dll) the method that RSpec will be looking for (namely:
able_to_vote? )

Since you already have CanVote, you could actually just alias it like
this:

class Person
   alias_method :able_to_vote?, :CanVote
end

Let us/me know if this helps, and how far you get from here
If you'd like to discuss further personally, please email or direct
message me.
Thanks