[Ironruby-core] Code Review: Better error messages

Jim Deville jdeville at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 23 18:04:37 EST 2009

it "coerces string argument with Float() without calling singleton to_f" do
    s = MathSpecs.string_with_singleton_to_f("0.5", 0.5)
    Math.acos(s).should be_close(Math.acos(0.5), TOLERANCE)
    ScratchPad.recorded.should == nil # to_f should not be called
  end

  it "coerces string argument with Float() without calling String#to_f" do
    MathSpecs.hijack_String_to_f
    begin
      Math.acos("0.5").should be_close(Math.acos(0.5), TOLERANCE)
    ensure
      MathSpecs.reset_String_to_f
    end
  end

These can be rewritten with mocks instead of specialized classes.

it "coerces string argument with Float() without calling singleton to_f" do
  s = "0.5"
  s.should_not_receive(:to_f)
  Math.acos(s).should be_close(Math.acos(0.5), TOLERANCE)
End

The second spec is really testing method dispatch, and otherwise is the same thing as this one. Same with:

  it "raises an ArgumentError if the singleton string cannot be directly coerced with Float()" do
    s = MathSpecs.string_with_singleton_to_f("test", 0.5)
    lambda { Math.acos(s) }.should raise_error(ArgumentError)
    ScratchPad.recorded.should == nil # to_f should not be called
  end

  it "raises an ArgumentError if the string subclass cannot be directly coerced with Float()" do
    s = MathSpecs.string_subclass_with_to_f("test", 0.5)
    lambda { Math.acos(s) }.should raise_error(ArgumentError)
    ScratchPad.recorded.should == nil # to_f should not be called
  End

JD