[Ironruby-core] Code Review: Better error messages

Shri Borde Shri.Borde at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 23 17:04:04 EST 2009

  tfpt review "/shelveset:error;REDMOND\sborde"

Microsoft.Scripting:

  Change in DefaultBinder is to make the binder exception processing logic be extensible so that languages can customize the type of exception thrown.

IronRuby:

  Improves error reporting in IronRuby by checking the results of the bind failure. This allowed many Math tests to be enabled.

  Also, added a DefaultProtocol for to_f. This allowed more Math tests to be enabled as you can now pass the string "1.0" to a function expecting a "Float". I have added test cases for the Float conversion rules in core\math\acos_spec.rb. I have not copied this to the other specs as that would be hard to maintain. We will look at factoring such conversion checks into a utility library so that they will be much easier to use.

  Fixes some String bugs - String.#inspect on string subtype should return a string, and passing wrong argument types to Strings#[]= should cause TypeError instead of ArgumentError. This is where I started and it put me in the direction of the fixes above.

  Tomas: In RubyBinder.GetTypeName, is there a better way to get to RubyContext?