[Ironruby-core] Active Record Or LINQ with IronRuby...?

Carl Graff lists at ruby-forum.com
Sun Jan 11 11:11:50 EST 2009

John Lam (DLR) wrote:
> Softmind Technology:
>
>> I still have my doubts about smooth functioning of SQL Server 2005 with
>> Active Record.
>>
>> I have heard several complains about SQL Driver 2005 not efficient as
>> it should be. MySql/Sqlite etc are working great with Active Record.
>
> The SQL Server team is investigating providing support for SQL Server
> via ActiveRecord and other ORMs. To be clear, *they* will be driving
> this once we get ActiveRecord to the point where they can start
> investigating how they will provide support for SQL Server.
>
> Thanks,
> -John

Hi,

I have been using Ruby to integrate with large complex legacy SQLServer
databases for over 2 years now and it isn't that hard.

1. Use Dr Nic's compositekeys http://compositekeys.rubyforge.org/
2. Use Rahoul Baruah's sql_server.rb for stored procedure support

Now that I have dabbled with IronPython and LInQ I too am curious about
the best approach for data_access/ORM with so many possibilities opening
up.

Linq2ActiveRecord provider
  or
Add XML and collection mapping to ActiveRecord
   (I think XML can be fudged with a couple of pseudo tables related)
  or
List Comprehension or Generators

If a Linq2ActiveRecord provider is possible that might be the best of
all worlds (if performance doesn't rear it's ugly head). Dr. Nic also
has something called Magic Modes to reverse engineer an entire database
into ActiveRecord models and other cool stuff.

There must be some synergy possible here.

Best,
    Carl