[Ironruby-core] Compiling .rb files vs. embedding and hosting ?

Jimmy Schementi Jimmy.Schementi at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 9 14:42:36 EST 2009

Embedding the files as resources would be your best bet, as we don't have compilation to an assembly working today.

Basically (compiled with outlook ...):

var assembly = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly();
var textStreamReader = new StreamReader(assembly.GetManifestResourceStream("foo.rb"));
var code = textStreamReader.ReadToEnd();
textStreamReader.Close();

var runtime = new ScriptRuntime();
var ruby = IronRuby.Ruby.GetEngine(runtime);
var source = ruby.CreateScriptSourceFromString(code);
var result = source.Execute();

Compilation is something we want to support though.

~js