[Ironruby-core] compliant_on(:ruby) in RubySpecs

Shri Borde Shri.Borde at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 7 03:26:08 EST 2009

I noticed that besides not_compliant_on to disable tests on specific Ruby implementations, there is also compliant_on to enable tests only on selected implementations. There are ~120 such instances. To make IronRuby compliant, we not only have to reduce the number of *_tags.txt files, we also have to add ":ir" to all uses of compliant_on.

However, this seems backwards. Shouldn't we try to remove most uses of compliant_on, and instead add tags for the implementations where the test does not work? There may be a few valid uses of compliant_on for tests which only work on, say, JRuby. However, only a handful of the occurrences are of this kind. The vast majoriy include :ruby which means it should be the standard.

Should it be a goal to change compliant_on so that it does not allow :ruby?

Thanks,
Shri