[Ironruby-core] Recommendations for (IronRuby) gem packaging ?

Daniele Alessandri suppakilla at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 06:34:06 EST 2009

Hi Thibaut,

AFAIK there is no way (yet) to enforce the compatibility of a gem with
one or more ruby implementations, e.g. mri, jruby, ironruby, etc. If
I'm not going wrong there was a discussion a while back on ruby-talk
about the necessity of extending the current gemspec with a new
attribute to meet this kind of requirement as the existing "platform"
attribute was not intended for something like this and, in fact, it is
not quite the same.

I was thinking of packaging my ironruby-hpricot as a gem for ironruby
(btw the source is hosted on github, see
http://github.com/nrk/ironruby-hpricot/ ... never had the chance to
announce it :-)) but I guess it is too early as ironruby's internals
seem to be still a "moving target" (I had to push a few fixes last
week due to changes).

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:29, Thibaut Barrère
<thibaut.barrere at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm thinking about packaging some gems from github.
> So I'm wondering if it already possible to package a gem so that:
> 1 - it is marked as compatible *only* with IronRuby ?
> 2 - it is marked as compatible also with IronRuby (as well as other
> platforms) ?
> What would be the platform indication ?
> I'm also looking for any other useful information from people who tried to
> package an IronRuby gem.
> cheers and thanks for any feedback,
> -- Thibaut

Daniele Alessandri