[Ironruby-core] Throwing Exceptions defined in Ruby from C#

Daniele Alessandri suppakilla at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 09:30:36 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm refactoring and polishing the source code of my port of json/ext
to IronRuby (it's feature complete by now) but I'm wondering if there
is a better way to throw an Exception defined in ruby from C# compared
to the only solution I've came up with so far. Here is the code I'm
using right now, stripped down of checks and condensed in one method
just for the sake of brevity:

----- ruby -----

module JSON
    class JSONError < StandardError; end
    class ParserError < JSONError; end
end

----- C# -----

public static void RaiseParserError(RubyScope scope, String msg) {
    RubyModule eParserError;

    scope.RubyContext.TryGetModule(scope.GlobalScope,
        "JSON::ParserError",
        out eParserError
    );

    RubyClass exceptionClass = eParserError as RubyClass;
    Type underlyingType = exceptionClass.GetUnderlyingSystemType();

    BindingFlags bindingFlags = BindingFlags.NonPublic |
                                BindingFlags.Public |
                                BindingFlags.Instance;

    ConstructorInfo constructor = underlyingType.GetConstructor(
        bindingFlags,
        null,
        new[] { typeof(RubyClass), typeof(String) },
        null
    );

    Exception exceptionInstance = constructor.Invoke(
        new object[] { exceptionClass, msg }
    ) as Exception;

    throw exceptionInstance;
}