[Ironruby-core] setting global variables in embedded ironruby interpreter

Tomas Matousek Tomas.Matousek at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 9 12:28:19 EST 2009

You can find many hosting examples in HostingTests.cs.

As for global and top-level local variables:

-          Variables in ScriptRuntimeRuntime.Globals are mapped to global constants (ie. constants on Object).

-          Variables in local ScriptScope are not mapped to Ruby top-level local variables. They are looked up via method_missing on a top-level singleton object. Ruby top-level program executes in a context where "self" is a singleton of Object. IronRuby defines method_missing on this singleton. If a method name ends with "=" it writes to the scope, otherwise it reads from the scope.

ScriptScope scope = Engine.CreateScope();
scope.SetVariable("x", 1);
scope.SetVariable("y", 2);
Engine.Execute("self.z = x + y", scope);
int result = scope.GetVariable<int>("result");
Assert(result == 3);

Ruby global variables don't have any mapping to DLR scopes. We don't have any well designed API for them yet, you can do this for now:

Ruby.GetExecutionContext(Engine).DefineGlobalVariable("foo", 123);

Tomas