[Ironruby-core] automating VS

Oleg Tkachenko olegtk at microsoft.com
Sat Feb 7 01:28:15 EST 2009

Yes, that was VS 2008. Unfortunately the demo contained some unreleased features so I couldn't publish the code. But the idea was simple - an addin-manager (C#) that hosts DLR and allows ruby scripts to create and handle menu commands:

require 'rubyaddin'

class TestRunnerAddin < RubyAddin
    set_command_label "Run Test"
    set_command_tooltip "Run selected test"
    set_command_menu "Code Window"

    def self.execute()
        ctx = get_vs_context()
        file = ctx.ActiveDocument

But then to make something useful you still need to cope with EnvDTE (which was provided as part of context).