[Ironruby-core] Code Review: re

Jim Deville jdeville at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 6 15:56:50 EST 2009

RegexpSpecs.syntax_error, and the similar test in language/regexp_specs.rb is testing the parser, not regexps.

For the others, you are obscuring the code too much. Methods in the fixture files shouldn't hide the behavior, methods in the fixture files should be a convenient way to get at data.

  it "returns nil if the object is nil" do
    /\w+/.send(@method, nil).should == nil

  it 'supports escape characters' do
    RegexpSpecs.match(@method, /\t/, "\t", ["\t"]) # horizontal tab

I know what the first one is doing, and if I want to see how Regexp#match, or the other shared methods, behave I can see that easily. RegexpSpecs.match is obscuring a lot of the behavior in the fixture files. In addition, since :=~ and :match have slightly different behaviors, they shouldn't be using a shared spec. One way to reduce the code in a case like this is to use fixtures to define character classes (like RegexpSpecs.blanks), then you could do loops in each spec file to spec the behaviors in one line.

So the it 'supports escape characters' do line becomes:

In classes.rb:
def self.escape_characters
  %w{\t \v \n \r \f \a \e}

In match_spec.rb under describe "Regexp#match":
it "supports escape characters" do
  RegexpSpecs.escape_characters.each do |char|
    char.send(@method, /#{char}/).to_a.should == [char]

In match_spec.rb under describe "Regexp#=~ on a successful match":
it "supports escape characters" do
  RegexpSpecs.escape_characters.each do |char|
    (/#{char}/ =~ char).should == 0

Similar simplifications can be done for the others.

The idea is that each spec tests a facet of behavior of a method. If you are trying to combine two facets (via case statements in this case), then you really have two specs.

You can see my discussion with Brian Ford and Evan Phoenix about this here: http://logs.jruby.org/rubyspec/2009-02-06.html.