[Ironruby-core] Ruby Libraries ==> IronRuby

Jimmy Schementi Jimmy.Schementi at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 17 13:54:48 EST 2009

For the rest of our ~10% missing Ruby built-in/library support, using code from Rubinius could possibly make more things work. I’d try this out for a library you care about that isn’t implemented, see if you can get all the specs passing for that, and report back. =)

However, are you referring to “C-library ports to Ruby” that are outside the Ruby stdlib (as in, 3rd party libs, gems, etc)? I don’t know of many of those existing, but probably because I haven’t been looking, but again if they do exist their doesn’t seem like anything wrong with trying to get them working on IronRuby for more 3rd party library support. The only issues I see is if they somehow use Rubinius only features.

Another thing to be aware of is licensing; the IronRuby codebase is partitioned into three licenses, based on where we got the code from: Ms-Pl, Ruby license, and Creative Commons. If the intention is to commit these Ruby libraries into IronRuby to fill out our support, then we just need to be mindful of what license the incoming code.

~Jimmy