[Ironruby-core] How can IronRuby replace XML?

Ivan Porto Carrero ivan at flanders.co.nz
Tue Dec 15 04:46:29 EST 2009

because XML is often used to simulate dynamic coding a great example of this
is XAML right?

XAML is excecutable code expressed as XML every self-respecting enterprise
architect thinks XML is the second coming and will put loads of it in there.
So instead of describing stuff in XML and giving your whole team carpal
tunnel you can do the same thing by using Ruby to configure your application

The argument is often yeah we did it in XML because then we didn't have to
compile again to make  a quick change.
The news is :) You don't have to compile Ruby AND you can do more stuff with
it than you can do with XML.

Now if you were to ask me when should I use XML => when you need validation
of data coming from an external source or when you need some form of
namespacing when communicating with 3rd parties all other cases are YAGNI.

Ivan Porto Carrero
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Google Wave: portocarrero.ivan at googlewave.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim