[Ironruby-core] Could you please teach a canonical style for writing the IronRuby hosting code.

はしもとけんいち ken1hasimoto at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 09:43:25 EST 2009

Hello Jimmy-sann

Thank you for your some advice about my code,
and for giving me an information about the link to documentation of DLR-hosting.

I understood your advices as below:

1. for creating the engine.
If the program hosts the ONLY IronRuby, 'IronRuby.Ruby.CreateEngine()'
is better than 'runtime.GetEngine("rb");'.
If the program needs to host many dynamic languages, 'var engine =
ScriptRuntime.CreateFromConfiguration().GetEngine("rb");' is better
than 'IronRuby.Ruby.CreateEngine()'.

2. ScriptSource
If the program evaluates same script and never execute same script,
'engine.Execute(string, ScriptScope)' is better than for creating the
ScriptSource.
Because, engine.Execute(string, ScriptScope) is simple code.

If the program evaluates one script many times, for creating the
ScriptSource is better than 'engine.Execute(string, ScriptScope)'.
Because creating a ScriptSource compiles a ruby code ONLY once time
and reduces .
Of course, when creating a ScriptSource, I can change the mode for
complie,execution.

---------

Now, I have one more question about  global variables.
First, in my last mail, I used
'IronRuby.Ruby.GetExecutionContext(engine).DefineGlobalVariable' for
defining  global variable.
Now I found the way to write 'runtime.Globals.SetVariable("xxx",
567);' to define  global variable in the documentaion , but it seems
NOT work.
Is this a bug?

Thank you.
B.R. Kenichi HASHIMOTO