[Ironruby-core] [IronPython] Telling .NET classes from Python objects

Curt Hagenlocher curth at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 28 23:51:04 EDT 2009

I'd probably pick IDynamicMetaObjectProvider as the signifier of a dynamic type.  Ruby and Python types that don't implement this interface aren't "as dynamic" as types that do -- even built-in ones -- because they won't support dynamic binding from other languages.  And all user-defined types would implement it.

As a bonus, you can get a list of member names directly from the MetaObject returned by the IDMOP using something like this:

var idmop = obj as IDynamicMetaObjectProvider;
if (idmop != null) {
    var expr = System.Linq.Expressions.Parameter(typeof(object)); // The DLR version, not the LINQv1 version!
    var dmo = idmop.GetMetaObject(expr);
    IEnumerable<string> names = dmo.GetDynamicMemberNames();
}

You could then create simple binders and use CallSites directly to actually get and set the data members yourself -- and the result should support any DLR language and not just Python or Ruby.