[Ironruby-core] WinForms event handling

Andrew S. Townley ast at atownley.org
Wed Apr 22 05:45:17 EDT 2009

Hi Jim

> I'm assuming this is the 0.3 release from Rubyforge, is that correct?

Yes.  That's correct.

> In the newest build of IronRuby, @textfield.text.strip and @textfield.text.trim both work. It also appears we have fixed the String creation bug you mention (note that '' is a ClrString and "" is a Ruby String):
>
> [11] > rbd
> IronRuby 0.3.0.0 on .NET 2.0.50727.4913
> Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

> => true
> => 'hello world'
> => 'hello world'
> => 'hello world'
> => "hello world"
> => 'fubar'
> C:\temp
> [12] > gc temp.cs
> public static class Foo {
>   public static string bar() {
>     return "hello world";
>   }
> }
> C:\temp
>
> This build can be built from sources at http://github.com/ironruby/ironruby.git, or we should have a release in the next week or so.

All sounds good.  I hit another problem with the core library that I was trying to bring to the CLR which will keep the IronRuby use on hold for a while.  It works with JRuby on both Windows and Linux, but one of the gems I need, uuid, uses flock which chokes in the 0.3.0 build.

One of the other things I noticed trying to pull in code that works in MRE and JRuby is that IronRuby asked me for gems that I'd never heard of before on the other environments.  It must be much more aggressive about pre-compiling the dependencies than the other implementations.  Perhaps that's part of the start-up time issue.

There's ~12K lines of code in the library I'm experimenting with (not counting the gems it uses--of which there are a few), and it takes *ages* for the main import to return from iirb.  This is probably better in the next release too, so I'll try again to see how it goes.

I'm looking forward to seeing this mature rapidly, because it looks like the best option for building native Windows GUI applications with Ruby.  In fairness, that's really the only reason that I'm interested in it.  The other options all seem to be not quite as polished as I'd like or are too close to the Win32 API.  I had my fill of that back in the days when I was forced into MFC, so I don't want to go there again if I don't have to.

In the near term, it's looking like I'm going to have to go down the JRuby route to get my application working on Windows.  At the moment, it's using MRE and the Ruby/GNOME2 bindings under Linux, but I need it on Windows for some things.

Hopefully, the main thrust of IronRuby really isn't to deal with testing or Silverlight, as it would seem to appear from most of the Google search results.  I think there's a very real need for a complete Ruby implementation that's tightly integrated with the CLR for building "real" applications for Windows in much the same way that Apple is integrating YARV with the Cocoa APIs to make building apps for the Mac much more straightforward.

I've used MFC/C++, WinForms/C#, JFC/Java, GTK+/Python & Ruby, NEXTSTEP/AppKit/ObjC and a few other minor environments, and I'd prefer never to go back to building UIs with compiled languages again. :)

Thanks again for the help and the quick response.  Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

ast