[Ironruby-core] Code Review: rubyspec4

Peter Bacon Darwin bacondarwin at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 29 13:47:20 EDT 2008

It is possible that the many files that are only different in newlines is
actually my fault.  I think that Jim integrated a load of my changes to the
rubyspecs last month but I was having newbie issues with Git and my setup
changed a load of the line endings.  I have now got over this issue after
some mucking about with git config.

I have subsequently had these changes incorporated into the official
rubyspec repository on github.  If the only files are ones that I broke then
you can just bin those commits and use the versions from the official github
repository instead.

Is there much benefit in keeping a separate fork of mspec and rubyspec now
anyway?  Ironruby now seems to be able to run mspec unmodified and the guys
who manage these projects seem happy to give responsible people commit
rights to the official repositories.
You could apply tags to versions of rubyspec or mspec to baseline versions
that are good for ironruby.
In addition there are a number of guards available in mspec that allow
rubyspecs to be filtered based on ruby implementation and version.  This is
how the jruby and rubinius projects use rubyspec.

In terms of tracking regression tests for a specific ironruby bug in
rubyforge.  How about you just list the descriptions of the examples (i.e.
"it" blocks) that fail for the bug.  It would be fairly easy to check that
these now run ok.  In many ways the tagged rubyspec examples are a direct
representation of the bugs that are still to be solved.

Pete