[Ironruby-core] RubyModule CreateAnonymousModule - NotImplementedException

Peter Bacon Darwin bacondarwin at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 28 10:29:08 EDT 2008

Hi Ben,
Here is a better version that should work, except for the dynamic monkey
patching aspect.  In RubyModule.cs you have to have this method:

        // Ruby constructor:
        public static RubyModule/*!*/
CreateAnonymousModule([NotNull]BlockParam/*!*/ block, RubyClass/*!*/ self) {
            RubyModule module =
self.ExecutionContext.DefineModule(SymbolId.Empty);
            object returnedValue = RubyUtils.EvaluateInModule(module,
block);
            if ( block.BlockJumped(returnedValue) ) {
                return null;
            }
            return module;
        }

This additional complexity is because MRI normally returns the module rather
than the result of the block, unless the block jumped (i.e. break).
The following code works the same in MRI and this version of IronRuby...

Module.new
Module.new {|m| puts m.class}
Module.new {|m| puts m.class; 123}
Module.new {|m| puts m.class; break;}
Module.new {|m| puts m.class; break; 123}

In MRI this prints Module to the console and then returns the anonymous
Module object unless the block breaks in which case it returns nil.

By the way, this is still not strictly correct yet, since if we monkey patch
module_eval this version will not call the new version of module_eval.

Pete