[Ironruby-core] Working on Seo's r144 patch

Seo Sanghyeon sanxiyn at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 14:56:01 EDT 2008

2008/9/18 C.J. Adams-Collier <cjac at colliertech.org>:
> Seo mentioned to the IRC channel the other day that he got r144
> building, so I thought I'd try it.  I didn't get it working, so I'll
> post my results here.

Your log indicates that it builds fine up to IronRuby.dll. Now when you build
IronRuby.Libraries.dll, System.Core.dll is referenced again. I believe
the story goes
something like this:

Mono gmcs references System.Core.dll by default.
Mono gmcs /noconfig avoids referencing System.Core.dll.
However, ExtensionAttribute is in System.Core.dll, and due to current limitation
of Mono gmcs, it needs to reference System.Core.dll in order to compile
extension methods correctly.
DLR does not use extension methods.
IronRuby.dll uses extension methods, but none of assemblies IronRuby.dll
references use extension methods.
IronRuby.Libraries.dll uses extension methods, and references IronRuby.dll
which uses extension methods. System.Core.dll is pulled in, classes are defined
multiple times, FAIL.

Seo Sanghyeon