[Ironruby-core] IronRuby on Mono

Wim Vander Schelden wim at fixnum.org
Tue Sep 2 15:35:44 EDT 2008

I was trying to build IronRuby from SVN head, but I encountered a few

   1. Several times in context.rb, there are calls to String#basename and
   String#dirname. These should probably be replaced by
   File.basename(some_string) and File.dirname(some_string), respectively.
   2. After fixing this I encountered something an issue because the paths
   have been hard coded with "\" as the path separator, which doesn't work on
   non-Windows systems. Since I'm not sure where all these paths are coming
   from, and I don't want to break other things, I've added pathname =
   pathname.gsub('\\', File::SEPARATOR) at the beginning of the method.
   3. This still doesn't fix things, as the method is receiving a filename
   surrounded by double quotes ("Actions\ActionSelfExpression.cs"), instead of
   just the filename. I'm not sure this is to be sure you don't mess up paths
   with spaces in them, but it causes trouble here. I've hacked around it by
   removing the quotes before changing the separator issue, but this is
   obviously a dirty hack.
   4. After I did this, it turned out the path being passed resided in a
   subdirectory of the current directory, instead of the current directory
   itself. I'm not sure what to do about this issue. Are all the paths refering
   to ./src/microsoft.scripting/actions?

Has anyone else tried running a recent version on Mono?

Wim Vander Schelden