[Ironruby-core] Overriding CLS Virtuals

Ted Milker tmilker at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 02:12:13 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Curt Hagenlocher <curth at microsoft.com> wrote:

> However, virtual calls from a C# application back into IronRuby are a different matter, due Ruby's dynamic nature.  Here there is both a performance cost and a semantic cost for performing multiple lookups.  The performance cost results from the fact that we have to check for two different symbol names on every CLS call to this method before we can identify that we need to delegate to the base class implementation.  (To be fair, this, too could be cached, albeit with slightly greater difficulty.)  The semantic cost is based in the confusion resulting when methods with both names are defined on the class.  Should we call method "dispose" or method "Dispose"? or both?

This is a tough one, glad I do not have to make the call.  Pitfalls
and trouble every way I try to think of it and type a response. :)  My
gut tells me that capitalization matters, regardless of The Ruby Way,
when it comes to .NET.  If you want to write a new Dispose, def
Dispose.

> Finally, as you're probably aware by now, capitalization in Ruby is not simply a matter of convention.  In many cases, the parser actually treats identifiers which start with a capital letter differently than it does identifiers that start lower case.  Now it turns out that method names are one of the places where Ruby doesn't draw this distinction, but I'd guess that many Ruby programmers look at any identifier starting with a capital letter and think "that's a constant".

But given the following:

def Foo
    "Bar"
end

Foo()

what Ruby programmer would look at Foo and still think it is a
constant?  Of course, if I would have made it lowercase, the
parentheses would not be necessary.  My point is that the parentheses
tell the reader that it is not a constant, but a method.  Is there a
situation where Foo could appear legally, as defined above, without
parentheses and be confused for a constant?