[Ironruby-core] Overriding CLS Virtuals

Orion Edwards orion.edwards at open2view.com
Sat Oct 25 19:59:06 EDT 2008

I used to think this kind of thing too.

Each language (or large-subset-of-language) has it's own conventions.

gnu/posix C:  lower_underscore_case
Microsoft C (eg the win32 api): UpperCamelCase
Java: lowerCamelCase
Javascript: lowerCamelCase
.NET: UpperCamelCase (except local variables which seem to be
ruby/python: lower_underscore_case

While none of the languages will stop you from using any conventions
you like, it's MUCH easier to learn to put your ego aside, and go with
the conventions.

The simple fact is, you're going to be reading loads of sourcecode
written by others in the form of examples and so forth, and if you get
annoyed every time you see stuff you 'hate' - well you're going to be
having a pretty unhappy time.