[Ironruby-core] .so files and library paths

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Sun May 18 20:30:28 EDT 2008

Wayne Kelly wrote:
> Charles, to what extent does JRuby stick with the existing MRI ruby library directory hierarchy?

We use the basic structure for .rb files, but we do not put extensions
on the filesystem anywhere since all of them are bundled into JRuby's
main JAR file. We have hooks in the loading process to find extensions,
however, and gem-based extensions can load their own libraries from
within the unpacked gem location through a number of mechanisms.

- Charlie