[Ironruby-core] r105 broke assembly loading

Ivan Porto Carrero ivan at flanders.co.nz
Fri May 16 18:18:56 EDT 2008


Hi,

I submitted a patch that restores that original behavior.

Cheers
Ivan

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Tomas Matousek <
Tomas.Matousek at microsoft.com> wrote:

>  I see. The problem is that an application that is written in a scripting
> language is not treated the same as a compiled .exe file in CLR's assembly
> loading mechanism. Executable file defines a directory from whose
> subdirectories could private assemblies be loaded. Since we have no .exe
> file for Ruby apps CLR loader doesn't consider the root of the app during
> the search for an assembly.
>
> I'll add support for loading from .dlls back. Framework assemblies should
> still be loaded either using Kernel#require(<long assembly name>).
>
>
>
> Tomas
>
>
>
> *From:* ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org [mailto:
> ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org] *On Behalf Of *Ivan Porto Carrero
> *Sent:* Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:50 PM
> *To:* ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
> *Subject:* Re: [Ironruby-core] r105 broke assembly loading
>
>
>
> That also isn't working for me.
>
> If I use /paths:full path here or -I "full path here" it still doesn't let
> me require that assembly .
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On 14/05/2008, at 1:27 PM, Steve Eichert wrote:
>
>
>
>  I haven't tried revision 105 to know if it still works but I've been
> using the /paths command line option to tell IronRuby where my assemblies
> are.
>
> ir.exe paths/:C:\paths\to\my\dlls my_ruby_script.rb
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
>
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Ivan Porto Carrero <ivan at flanders.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
> Ok I'm all for features but how do I now require my own homebaked dll
> because registering them in the GAC isn't the way to go IMHO :)
>
> I've tried a bunch of things to get to my dll but it boils down to that it
> doesn't know how to load it. When I copy my assembly into the ironruby build
> folder it does work. That just doesn't seem right to me. If there is a new
> an elegant way to load arbitrary assemblies then I'd love to know. In
> meantime I can hack my source to add assembly loading from a path as well
>
> Below the output from my various tries to get my assembly loaded without
> putting it in the ironruby binaries folder
>
>
>
> + C:\projects\lumpr\src\Sylvester.DesktopEdition\Sylvester.IronRuby
>
> » ir -I
> C:\projects\lumpr\src\Sylvester.DesktopEdition\Sylvester.IronRuby\bin\Sylvester.Contracts.dll
>
> >>> include Twitter::Model
> c:\tools\IronRuby\src\IronRuby.Libraries\Builtins\ModuleOps.cs:642:in
> `ConstantMissing': uninitialized constant Object::
> Twitter (NameError)
>
>
>        from :0:in `Initialize##1'
>
> >>> exit
>
>
>
> + C:\projects\lumpr\src\Sylvester.DesktopEdition\Sylvester.IronRuby
>
> » ir -I
> C:\projects\lumpr\src\Sylvester.DesktopEdition\Sylvester.IronRuby\bin
>
> >>> require 'Sylvester.Contracts, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
> PublicKeyToken=null'
> c:\tools\IronRuby\src\IronRuby.Libraries\Builtins\Kernel.cs:272:in
> `Require': no such file to load -- Sylvester.Contract
> s, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null (LoadError)
>
>
>        from :0:in `Initialize##1'
>
> >>> exit
>
>
>
> + C:\projects\lumpr\src\Sylvester.DesktopEdition\Sylvester.IronRuby
> » ir
>
> >>>
> Dir.chdir('C:\projects\lumpr\src\Sylvester.DesktopEdition\Sylvester.IronRuby\bin')
> => 0
> >>> require 'Sylvester.Contracts, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
> PublicKeyToken=null'
> c:\tools\IronRuby\src\IronRuby.Libraries\Builtins\Kernel.cs:272:in
> `Require': no such file to load -- Sylvester.Contract
> s, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null (LoadError)
>        from :0:in `Initialize##7'
> >>> exit
>
>
>
> + C:\projects\lumpr\src\Sylvester.DesktopEdition\Sylvester.IronRuby
>
> » ir -I
> C:\projects\lumpr\src\Sylvester.DesktopEdition\Sylvester.IronRuby\bin
>
> >>>
> Dir.chdir('C:\projects\lumpr\src\Sylvester.DesktopEdition\Sylvester.IronRuby\bin')
> => 0
> >>> require 'Sylvester.Contracts, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
> PublicKeyToken=null'
> c:\tools\IronRuby\src\IronRuby.Libraries\Builtins\Kernel.cs:272:in
> `Require': no such file to load -- Sylvester.Contract
> s, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null (LoadError)
>        from :0:in `Initialize##8'
>
>
> >>>
>
> Thanks
> Ivan
>
> On 14/05/2008, at 10:42 AM, John Lam (IRONRUBY) wrote:
>
> One more thing, r105 adds support for the -I command line switch, so you
> can now:
>
> ir -I path-to-your-includes-directory yourapp.rb
>
> Thanks,
> -John
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org [mailto:
> ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org] On Behalf Of Ivan Porto Carrero
> Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:32 PM
> To: ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
> Subject: [Ironruby-core] r105 broke assembly loading
>
> Hi
>
> I just updated to r105 and now I can't require assemblies anymore.
>
>  require 'bin/System.Net.dll'
>
>  c:\tools\IronRuby\src\IronRuby.Libraries\Builtins\Kernel.cs:272:in
> `Require': Invalid character '?' in expression (Synta
> xError)
>        from :0:in `Initialize##1'
>
> Do I submit a bug for that?
>
> Cheers
> Ivan
> _______________________________________________
> Ironruby-core mailing list
> Ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core
> _______________________________________________
> Ironruby-core mailing list
> Ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ironruby-core mailing list
> Ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ironruby-core mailing list
> Ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ironruby-core mailing list
> Ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/ironruby-core/attachments/20080517/e3e2ab94/attachment.html>


More information about the Ironruby-core mailing list