[Ironruby-core] IR SVN 107 changes behavior of'require'(compared to SVN 103)

Robert Brotherus robert.brotherus at napa.fi
Fri May 16 03:46:42 EDT 2008

Robert Brotherus
> If someone can provide instructions on how to compile the simple
program I sent without removing the
> SIGNED symbols from the libraries, then I can see if I get it working.
The SIGNED symbols appeared
> somewhere around SVN 103 and broke my program as well but at that time
removing the SIGNED allowed
> working again (even with the 'require').

I must correct myself: The simple program (attached here again) does
COMPILE against all these IR versions but with IR 103+ that are compiled
with the default "SIGNED" symbol, it fails runtime:

Microsoft.Scripting.Runtime.MissingTypeException: Type 'IronRuby,
Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35,
Ruby.Runtime.RubyContext' is missing or cannot be loaded. --->
System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'IronRuby,
Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or
one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does
not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
File name: 'IronRuby, Version=, Culture=neutral,
   at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String
codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint,
StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef,
Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString)
   at Microsoft.Scripting.PlatformAdaptationLayer.LoadAssembly(String
name) in
onLayer.cs:line 125
dLanguageContext() in
mainManager.cs:line 165

   at Microsoft.Scripting.Hosting.ScriptSource.Execute(ScriptScope
scope) in
cs:line 146

   at Program.ExecuteStr(String code) in
C:\DATA\IronRubyTest1\Program.cs:line 49
   at Program.Run() in C:\DATA\IronRubyTest1\Program.cs:line 21
   at Program.Main(String[] args) in
C:\DATA\IronRubyTest1\Program.cs:line 9
Press any key to continue . . .

When SIGNED is turned off, then the programs works correctly at IR 103,
but fails at IR 107+ to the reported earlier
"System.MemberAccessException: uninitialized constant Object::F".

I have now submitted bug (20167) about this.

Robert Brotherus
Software architect
Napa Ltd
Email: Robert.Brotherus at napa.fi