[Ironruby-core] changes to extname_spec.rb

John Lam (IRONRUBY) jflam at microsoft.com
Wed May 14 10:19:54 EDT 2008

Peter Bacon Darwin:

> By the way, I had this idea of creating a small program that would help
> with regression testing against MRI.  Instead of writing full RSpecs,
> we should write snippets of Ruby that work the classes.  The program
> would then run the snippets against MRI and IronRuby (and any other
> implementation if you
> wanted) and compare the results.  That way you could directly check how
> similar IR was to MRI without having to fix up the specs all the time.
> Also it would be much quicker and easier to write the specs since you
> wouldn't have to check what the correct result should be in each case.

This is a great idea. We already do something similar with the suite of check-in tests that we wrote (I need to fix these so they run on the external layout). But if you look at the code inside of run.rb and friends inside of the tests directory you'll see us doing exactly this between MRI, desktop CLR and Silverlight CLR.

Thanks,
-John