[Ironruby-core] running tests on server 2008

Peter Bacon Darwin bacondarwin at googlemail.com
Sun May 11 09:17:46 EDT 2008

The chdir_spec warnings are to do with block-less calls to chdir within a
block attached to another call to chdir.

The following code does not raise a warning...

irb(main):001:0> Dir.chdir("c:\\Windows") do

irb(main):002:1*   puts Dir.pwd

irb(main):003:1>   Dir.chdir("System32") do

irb(main):004:2*      puts Dir.pwd

irb(main):005:2>   end

irb(main):006:1>   puts Dir.pwd

irb(main):007:1> end

c:/Windows

c:/Windows/System32

c:/Windows

=> nil

But this code does...

irb(main):008:0> Dir.chdir("c:\\Windows") do

irb(main):009:1*   puts Dir.pwd

irb(main):010:1>   Dir.chdir("System32")

irb(main):011:1>   puts Dir.pwd

irb(main):012:1> end

c:/Windows

(irb):10: warning: conflicting chdir during another chdir block

c:/Windows/System32

=> nil

It appears that the spec_runner is setting up a chdir block and that the
chdir_spec is changing the directory explicitly (as you would expect) and
Ruby gives a warning since, once the block exits, this new directory will be
changed back to the one before the block began.

Nothing to worry about, I think.

Pete

John Lam wrote:

> Yes - that's what it's supposed to do. This is how we detect failure in
our automated test