[Ironruby-core] RubyForge bug fixes

Peter Bacon Darwin bacondarwin at googlemail.com
Sun May 11 08:14:48 EDT 2008

Hi Unnikrishnan,

Just a couple of points you might find useful:

.         A number of overloads have parameters like ..., object/*!*/ path,
... What you are saying to the Specsharp tool is that object should never be
null.  Is this what you want?  Can you pass nil into the methods in MRI?  If
you can then you need to remove the /*!*/.  If you can't then you probably
need to add [NotNull] attribute or handle the case where the parameter is
null within you method.  Since you usually pass the value into CastToString,
which handles the null case then probably removing the /*!*/ is what is
required.

.         In Public Singleton methods I believe you can guarantee that the
self parameter that gets passed in is actually the class that owns the
method and so you can type this parameter to RubyClass/*!*/ if you want.
Since the class is not being used in these methods it is not important, but
it can save you a cast in other methods.

.         In some of the overloads you are using the Ruby regex classes.  Do
you know if MRI uses these and if so do they call the methods on them
directly or via the Ruby method invocation process?  If the latter then you
need to use Dynamic Invocation to call the methods in your overloads [so
that if someone monkey patches the Regex classes the behaviour shows up in
the File class].  I suspect this is not the case but worth writing an RSpec
for to check.

.         It might be worth pulling the MutableString objects that you use
for comparison out into static readonly variables so that you don't have to
keep instantiating them every call.  Such as:
private static readonly MutableString dotStar = MutableString.Create(".*");
and
private static readonly MutableString empty = MutableString.CreateEmpty();

Hope that helps.

Pete