[Ironruby-core] RubyForge bug fixes

John Lam (IRONRUBY) jflam at microsoft.com
Sat May 10 16:25:16 EDT 2008

Unnikrishnan Nair:

> Quick question, are these following assertions are correct?
>
>     should_raise(TypeError){ File.basename(1) }
>     should_raise(TypeError){ File.basename("bar.txt", 1) }
>     should_raise(TypeError){ File.basename(true) }

Yes they are. You can easily verify this in MRI yourself.

In first and third cases, it hits the overload that accepts a nullable object as the first parameter. The TypeError is raised via Protocols.CastToString().

In the second case, it also hits an overload that accepts a nullable object as its second parameter, which raises TypeError via Protocols.CastToString().

FYI, this is the implementation of #basename that I have in my shelveset. It passes all of the (valid) specs - there are some legitimate bugs in our old copy of the specs (I haven't checked with the latest version of the rubinius specs - I'll do that next week). I'm a bit worried about how I'm handling the special cases for Windows.

[RubyMethod("basename", RubyMethodAttributes.PublicSingleton)]
public static MutableString/*!*/ Basename(CodeContext/*!*/ context, object/*!*/ self, [NotNull]MutableString/*!*/ path, [NotNull]MutableString/*!*/ extensionFilter) {
    if (path.Length == 0)
        return path;

    MutableString trimmedPath = TrimTrailingSlashes(path);

    // Special cases of drive letters C:\\ or C:/
    if (trimmedPath.Length == 2)
        if (Char.IsLetter(trimmedPath.GetChar(0)) && trimmedPath.GetChar(1) == ':')
            return Kernel.FlowTaint(context, path, (path.Length > 2 ? MutableString.Create(path.GetChar(2).ToString()) : MutableString.Create(String.Empty)));

    string trimmedPathAsString = trimmedPath.ConvertToString();
    if (trimmedPathAsString == "/")
        return trimmedPath;

    string filename = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(trimmedPath.ConvertToString());

    // Handle UNC host names correctly
    string root = System.IO.Path.GetPathRoot(trimmedPath.ConvertToString());
    if (extensionFilter.Length == 0)
        return trimmedPathAsString == root ? MutableString.Create(root) : MutableString.Create(filename);

    string fileExtension = System.IO.Path.GetExtension(filename);
    string basename = System.IO.Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(filename);

    string result = WildcardExtensionMatch(fileExtension, extensionFilter.ConvertToString()) ? basename : filename;
    return Kernel.FlowTaint(context, self, (result.Equals(root) ? MutableString.Create(root) : MutableString.Create(result)));
}

[RubyMethod("basename", RubyMethodAttributes.PublicSingleton)]
public static MutableString/*!*/ Basename(CodeContext/*!*/ context, object/*!*/ self, [NotNull]MutableString/*!*/ path) {
    return Basename(context, self, path, MutableString.Empty);
}

[RubyMethod("basename", RubyMethodAttributes.PublicSingleton)]
public static MutableString/*!*/ Basename(CodeContext/*!*/ context, object/*!*/ self, object path, object extension) {
    return Basename(context, self, Protocols.CastToString(context, path), Protocols.CastToString(context, extension));
}

[RubyMethod("basename", RubyMethodAttributes.PublicSingleton)]
public static MutableString/*!*/ Basename(CodeContext/*!*/ context, object/*!*/ self, object path) {
    return Basename(context, self, Protocols.CastToString(context, path));
}

> Also, in the basename_spec the test setup has wrong parameter on
> File.open(@name, 'w+'), if I change it to 'w', the test runs fine
> otherwise none of the test works.

This is correct. There is a bug in how we map the semantics of 'w+' to .NET IO. It's fixed in my shelveset.

Thanks,
-John