[Ironruby-core] Forgetting MutableString

John Lam (IRONRUBY) jflam at microsoft.com
Thu May 8 11:34:45 EDT 2008

Peter Bacon Darwin:

> I understand that Tomas is working on a version of MutableString that
> has a hybrid internal organisation to enable easy cooperation with CLR
> strings while maintaining compatibility with Ruby strings (hopefully
> without losing out in performance).

Yes- Tomas is working on a new MutableString this week. The idea is to avoid perf hits in the general case (eg a byte string is created and you are doing byte-string like things to it). However we will lazy eval conversions to other string types where necessary.

Not sure where things will line up when the new implementation shows up this week or next.