[Ironruby-core] Forgetting MutableString

Peter Bacon Darwin bacondarwin at googlemail.com
Thu May 8 09:29:42 EDT 2008

The trouble is that MutableStrings and CLR Strings are (going to be, if not
already) quite different creatures.  For a start the CLR string is always
UTF-16, while the MutableString is basically just an array of bytes, which
can be interpreted in different ways depending on the K-Code you are using.

In order to compare these two kinds of strings you need an intelligent
comparer that understands what locale you are working against.

I understand that Tomas is working on a version of MutableString that has a
hybrid internal organisation to enable easy cooperation with CLR strings
while maintaining compatibility with Ruby strings (hopefully without losing
out in performance).

Pete