[Ironruby-core] Code Review: socket2

Michael Letterle michael.letterle at gmail.com
Wed May 7 10:50:23 EDT 2008

/ideally/ we would be able to use RUBY_PLATFORM or some such to determine if
we were on silverlight or not.  We could have a socket.rb that loads the
functions differently depending on the platform (and throws not implements
if it's not applicable to Silverlight).

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:38 AM, John Lam (IRONRUBY) <jflam at microsoft.com>

> Peter Bacon Darwin:
> > The .NET Socket library is a fairly thin layer that sits on top of
> > WinSock.
> > Clearly Silverlight would not be able to do this since WinSock is not a
> > standard API on other OSes. Also, Silverlight is going to have
> > additional security restrictions that would prevent much of the Socket
> > library from work anyway.
> >
> > To be honest, even the full .NET Framework socket implementation does
> > not fully support all the features required by the Ruby socket library.
> > I have been struggling to get the Socket class working - it is not
> > pretty.
> Do you think it would be worthwhile to just have folks use the .NET Socket
> support in Silverlight and not bother having a "ruby" socket implementation?
> In this case I still have to figure out how to conditionally compile stuff
> against the same Initializer.Generated.cs - I might have to add a pre-build
> step to force its generation.
> Thanks,
> -John

Michael Letterle