[Ironruby-core] Code Review: socket2

John Lam (IRONRUBY) jflam at microsoft.com
Wed May 7 10:38:14 EDT 2008

Peter Bacon Darwin:

> The .NET Socket library is a fairly thin layer that sits on top of
> WinSock.
> Clearly Silverlight would not be able to do this since WinSock is not a
> standard API on other OSes. Also, Silverlight is going to have
> additional security restrictions that would prevent much of the Socket
> library from work anyway.
>
> To be honest, even the full .NET Framework socket implementation does
> not fully support all the features required by the Ruby socket library.
> I have been struggling to get the Socket class working - it is not
> pretty.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to just have folks use the .NET Socket support in Silverlight and not bother having a "ruby" socket implementation? In this case I still have to figure out how to conditionally compile stuff against the same Initializer.Generated.cs - I might have to add a pre-build step to force its generation.

Thanks,
-John