[Ironruby-core] debugging IR

Robert Brotherus robert.brotherus at napa.fi
Tue May 6 02:01:02 EDT 2008

I return to this debugging issue briefly since in the recent IronRuby
SVN versions the variable viewing support has been on decline.

John Lam (DLR) Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:47 PM:

Robert Brotherus wrote 2008-04-02:
> This is working fine, thanks!
> Weird spans and conditionals are a minor issue compared to the pain of
no debugging at all :-)
> Regarding the local variables I did not see any directly in the
"Locals" table of Visual Studio,
> but I was able to dig them up from $frame -> Scope -> Dict ->
SymbolAttributes

Now that was the situation with the IronRuby SVN current version of
2008-04-02 (can't remember the number).

Things have been taking a slight step backwards with the recent SVN
versions (at least already in v. 96). Now it seems that $frame->Scope is
always null, so I cannot dig the locals from there (nor are they yet
available as top-level symbols either) :-(

I understand debugging is not a priority of the IR team, but I wonder if
it would be a quick fix to restore the locals to be visible in *some*
way, direct or indirect? Or alternatively tell me how to dig them up
with the v. 99?

Robert Brotherus
Software architect
Napa Ltd