[Ironruby-core] Friday Status Update

John Lam (IRONRUBY) jflam at microsoft.com
Fri May 2 18:24:33 EDT 2008

I'm still working on the shelveset that I sent out for code review earlier today (bugfixes9). We found a few more issues when we did the code review. The most interesting case is this one:

We normally define methods that accept symbol using a signature that takes a SymbolId, eg:

[RubyMethod("attr", RubyMethodAttributes.PrivateInstance)]
public static void Attr(CodeContext/*!*/ context, RubyModule/*!*/ self, SymbolId name) {
    DefineAccessor(context, self, name, true, false);
}

Methods like these will blow up if you pass it a 'string-like' thing. We have a Protocol to convert these things - Protocols.CastToSymbol(), which does the right thing, which is call to_str on the target.

We have an open question right now which is whether we should bake in object to SymbolId conversions in the binder or whether we should handle them in a case by case basis by defining an overload that accepts an Object, and calling Protocols.CastToSymbol() on that object.

Once I get this shelveset past the troll, I'll work next on getting socket.cs and the ironi regex library into the tree.

Thanks,
-John