[Ironruby-core] Ruby Design Meeting 4/30

Michael Letterle michael.letterle at gmail.com
Thu May 1 09:00:27 EDT 2008

I attended the Ruby Design
<http://ruby-design.pbwiki.com/Design20080430>meeting for last night.
Since it appears that I was the only person working
on IronRuby in any fashion there, I thought I'd share some of the results of
the meeting with everyone.  First of all, let me say the meeting was quite
educational, it's not often you get to sit and listen to a bunch of really
smart people discuss the ins and outs of language design.  It was quite
orderly and the feeling of collaboration was almost tangible. While a number
of items have to be worked out over time, at least the meeting gets all the
different implementors thinking about certain topics.

The most important topic that's immediately relevant is probably the
decision that all implmentations will use RUBY_ENGINE to report which
implementation they are, in all lowercase with no spaces. It seems pretty
obvious that IronRuby would be "ironruby".  Attached is a patch implementing
that.  Most of the other topics are things we're not implementing yet, but
things that should be considered. Feel free to look over the transcript:
http://ruby-design.pbwiki.com/f/ruby-core-20080430.txt  for details.  Most
of the other topics are going to spawn threads in the main ruby-core list
anyway.

The next meeting is set for 5/15, hope to see some of you there!

--
Michael Letterle
[Polymath Prokrammer]