[Ironruby-core] Improved error handling if IronRuby.Libraries is not referenced

Ben Hall ben2004uk at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 22 21:43:45 EDT 2008

Hi,

This might sound like an odd request, but it has just caught me out.
Basically, I wanted to host IronRuby within a Console Application (for
a demo), however I didn't reference IronRuby.Libraries,  as a result I
was getting the exception - System.MissingMethodException was
unhandled  Message="1::+   (the code was "puts 1+1").

This was my thought process:
1) Created a new project.  Reference DLR assemblies.
2) Create new Runtime and Engine (using rb).  Exception - missing
IronRuby reference. Forgot, lets reference that.
3) Execute, method missing exception thrown.
4) Confused. Looked back at my IronEditor code - realised I was
missing IronRuby.Librarires.
5) Added reference - everything worked.

Maybe it's not required, but is there any way of better error handling
in this situation?

Thanks
Ben