[Ironruby-core] Asp.Net MVC with IronRuby - How does it work?

Curt Hagenlocher curth at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 19 20:23:10 EDT 2008

Yes, there's additional C# code involved which uses the DLR hosting interfaces.

For the sample that was shown at TechEd, code in Global.asax.cs executed "routes.rb".  This set up handlers to point to Ruby-based controllers.  A C# RubyController class served both to delegate the request to the Ruby-based controller and to serve as a base class for it.  A set of classes fronted by "RubyViewEngine" were used to read an .rhtml file and execute it through IronRuby.

All of this except the code in Global.asax.cs was abstracted out into a separate library.  The only other app-specific code written in C# for the demo was the database access code.  (And this was not because we couldn't create models in Ruby.)

Naturally, the sample that's made available with CTP 4 may look totally different :).